Kids in the Kitchen
We had the pleasure of hosting a jam making workshop at Steinbach Family Resource Centre!
Fruit Share Steinbach – Rhubarb Freezer Jam (5 x 250 ml jars)
Five eager children came to SFRC on August 2 to learn to make strawberry-rhubarb jam.
They washed and cut the rhubarb, stewed it down to mush, mixed in the sugar and pectin and poured it into the jars! They sampled their homemade jam and got to take it home with them!
Thanks to all the kids for a great afternoon! We know you will enjoy your homemade jam!
Recipe posted below.
· 1 -1/2 cups (375 ml) white sugar
· 1 pouch (45 g) Freezer Jam Pectin
· 4 cups (1000 ml) unsweetened stewed rhubarb (about 8½ cups fresh chopped)
· Jello packages – strawberry, raspberry or peach (optional)
1. Wash and rinse 5 x 250 ml jars and closures.
2. Wash rhubarb; leave wet. Trim ends and coarsely chop. Place in a stainless steel saucepan, cover and very slowly bring to a boil. Boil gently 15 minutes to stew. Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine Freezer Jam Pectin and sugar until well blended. Stir fruit mixture into pectin-sugar mixture; stir 3 minutes. Add 1½ Tbsp jello and stir in.
4. Ladle jam into jars, leaving 1/2 inch (1 cm) headspace. Wipe jar rims removing any residue. Apply lids tightly. Let stand until thickened, about 30 minutes. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks, freeze up to 1 year, or serve right away.