Hello from Fruit Share's New Intern!
Hi everyone. My name is Irene and I am happy to be joining Fruit Share Steinbach for the next six months as an intern. I enjoy learning to make new and exciting recipes and experimenting with different foods. I especially love cooking with pumpkins, squash and all those yummy foods that fall offers. My favourite recipe for this time of year is butternut squash and sweet potato soup.
Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped, (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced (about 5 cups)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
In a large pot, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the carrot and onion, sprinkle with salt and cook for 5 minutes. Add the spices then stir together.
Add the diced squash and sweet potato to the pot then pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover allowing it to cook for twenty minutes or until all of the veggies are tender.
Using an immersion blender or regular blender, puree the vegetables into a thick, smooth consistency. Transfer mixture back to the pot then pour in the coconut milk. Stir to combine then cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!